How To Recover A Desk Chair

So I’ve had this ugly desk chair for years. It’s perfectly comfortable, just super ugly. The red fabric just isn’t me.

IMG_3537

So I found a fantastic fabric 50% off at Joanns and I got a half a yard. Which wasn’t enough, went back got a yard, which would of been enough, BUT I cut the last piece too small and went back once more and got 3/4 a yard. When you do this, measure your chair and measure twice cut once. It’ll save you time and gas. Also you won’t end up running to the fabric late at night to get that last piece of fabric like a mad woman.

So first step was bringing it downstairs into the living room, putting on Midsomer Murders and start taking it apart. The back support was pretty straight forward. Then I pried it apart. It was attached by small nails. I was so glad I got a tetanus shot recently because I did prick myself, a few times.OpenBack

As you can see, so many stables! I was going to take the old fabric off, but that’d take forever so I cheated and left it on. You can’t see the old fabric through the new so it doesn’t matter at all.

Next I started draping fabric over the pieces. I lined up the pattern how I wanted it and trimmed it up. Next I stapled it at the top, pulled it tight at the bottom and stapled the bottom piece. Then I did the same on each side. Then I just kept doing that over and over until it was completely secured and trimmed off the extra. My puppy found the whole process very interesting as you can see. He didn’t understand why I wouldn’t throw his toy while I was working on this.

BackDrape1BackDrape2

Now on to the back piece. The back piece was more complicated. It has no padding on it, so I realized there was no way I could use my staple gun because they’d go right through the wood. So I used hot glue and glued the fabric on. Worked great! I just burned my fingers a few times and pricked my fingers on the nails a few times too.HotGlue.jpg

The next step was the seat itself. The biggest and thickest part of the chair. This piece had black batting on the bottom to hide the edges. I carefully ripped that off and saved it to put it back on when finished. I used the same technique as with the back support cushion, stapling and pulling tight until it was finished. I reattached it to the base then started working on the back piece.

The back piece was a little bit tricky just in the fact that I had to cut holes in the back of the fabric for the bolts to go through. I also had to push the nail tacks back through, which was easy with my hammer. In the end I now have this beautiful chair. ChairFinished.jpg

Which looks like it was way more expensive then it was. I actually found out recently that my dad got this chair free from work, so score! In the end I’d say this project cost me around $20, with all the extra fabric I bought, but I’ll just make some pillows with the extra or something.

Here’s a final side by side comparison. It’s so pretty now. I stared at it forever when I was done, just admiring my work.

BeforeAfter.JPG

Advertisements

Quick Fix For Saggy Couch Cushions

I’ve inherited random things. From family and from past roommates. This couch is one of those things. It’s in decent shape, but the back cushions are lumpy and no matter how much I fluff them as soon as I sit down they fall down and offer no back support at all. It’s been driving me crazy for years. YEARS! Why didn’t I do this sooner?!CouchBefore

Probably because I keep imagining buying this gorgeous gray sectional from west elm…peggy-mid-century-chaise-sectional-o

Someday… someday you will be mine, when I have a few spare K.

Until then I HAD to fix this couch so I could actually enjoy sitting on it. So with a 50% off coupon for Joanns I browsed the stuffing section. My original plan was to use foam padding, but they wanted $75 a yard for the 5″ thick stuff, which still wasn’t thick enough to fill out those cushions. I had found it on Amazon for around $40, but I looked at other options and found this 10 lb box of PolyFil. PolyFil.jpg

Says it will not bunch, smooth consistency and best of all with my coupon it only cost me $24.65, a little over half what the foam on Amazon would of cost me.

My fist step was to take off the cushion cover and take a look at what was inside.

CushionOpenCushionOut

As you can see I had a lumpy filling inside some batting. The batting was still in good shape so I just cut a long a seam and pulled the old stuff out.

CushionFillOutCushionFillOutDetail

Yuck, so lumpy! Bye bye lumpy filling, hello PolyFil.PolyFilOpen.jpg

Next step was just stuffing the batting up and doing a quick whip stitch to seal it up.CushionFillSewCushionFillSewDetail

At this point I laid it back and admired my new fluffy cushion then stuffed it into it’s cover.CouchHalf.jpg

Here you can see how it looked halfway done. Looks so much better already! On to the next one.CouchDoneCouchDonePillows

All finished! It’s like an all new couch, the back cushions are now super fluffy and offer plenty of support. I celebrated by sitting on it with dessert and watched an episode of Midsomer Murders.

So I fixed my couch for $24.65 and it only took me an hour and a half. Plus I have a bunch of PolyFil left over, I probably only needed 5 lbs. I see some stuffed animals in my future to use the rest up.